Re: [AMC-list] This one makes me angry + pie in the sky

Re: [AMC-list] This one makes me angry + pie in the sky

It blows my mind that anyone would be angry about how much someone was asking for a car. I just don't relate to that. The listed sales price has absolutely no relationship to the REAL value of the vehicle, it only shows what the value is to the current owner. If the modified Nash is worth $50grand to him and he's bold enough to admit it in public, why should that piss anyone off? Even if it is only worth half of that, I just don't understand the outrage. I've had my modified 1973 4-door Matador for sale for $3500 on and off over the years. If I lowered it to half the price, I probably could sell it by the middle of the summer. Does that mean at $3500 that I'm a pie-in-the-sky thinker who cares nothing about the general outrage amongst the car shopping public? Nope! It only means that it's worth $3500 to me, and for anything less, I'm probably just going to keep it.

The other thing I don't understand is outrage over how someone else spent their own money. Or specifically that someone ruined their own car. Outrage I hear quite often is over a subsequent owner of a car ruining what the previous owner had so lovingly preserved or created. If I do sell my Matador at either the asking price or half-price, and the buyer was secretly planning to enter it into a demolition derby after he bought it, what business is that of mine? I sure wouldn't want to give him (or her) any say over what I do with the money they gave me so why should I think I have any say over the car I gave to them?

Freedom means that everyone who owns a car would feel perfectly free to cut, modify, burn, paint, hot rod, accessorize, lift, lower, race, shave, chop, channel, tune, chip, hack, and in any and every other way imaginable, personalize their own car regardless of how pristine, rare,scarce,uncommon, extraordinary, preserved, stock, or in any other way desirable it was when they bought it.

Anything less is un-American.

Doug Dornbos