[AMC-list] (no subject)

Grand Cherokee wiring is VERY tough to swap over due to all the factory alarm sensors, etc. I tried with a '93 into my J10 and got frustrated so bad I ripped it back out! (and that was in '02. Truck has been waiting for an XJ harness swap ever since) However, the fan setup from a JGC is definitely the way to go for cooling.

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] 86 camanche info

Dave, with all the stuff you have to change I suggest you stick with a small GM V-6, unless you just happen to run across a wrecked Cherokee with a good drivetrain. If you run across a decent Cherokee sounds like that would work for the supply run as is, don't really need a pickup. I bet an enclosed cargo area would be better, really. Cherokees are usually easy enough to find. A cap for the Comanche would be a tough find too, the beds aren't the same size as other trucks.

The engine year is unimportant. Just get the wiring and all for the year you use. A complete donor vehicle would be preferred. Then it won't matter what year the donor is. A Grand Cherokee drivetrain will work, but you'll need to switch to all electric fans. The GC has the fan in the center and won't cover enough of the short and wide Comanche (MJ) radiator. The MJ/XJ fan rides a shaft under the AC bracket and is offset with a small auxiliary electric fan on the left. The electric fan comes on when the AC is on or when the radiator temp gets over 195. The Renix models had the fan temp sensor in the radiator, the later models were computer controlled but worked the same way. You could change the AC bracket out from a GC to an MJ/XJ bracket, but just more work. I'd go with a largish electric fan for the primary and keep the stock auxiliary in place and working as designed.