Re: [AMC-list] Hmmmm, 232's and whatnot

I'm pretty certain the speedo gear on the late T-96 and the T-14 are very close to the same position. That does remind me of something else about the T-96s though! The early models have the speedo driven gear ABOVE the output shaft, late models BELOW the output shaft. This means that they turn in opposite directions! Same with the M-35 (T-35) autos. I ran across that when replacing my original 1963 American auto trans with a later unit (64+). It would be hard to get to the speedo gear with an early trans in a late car due to the depth of the trans tunnel too.

-------------
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 12:32:40 -0800
From: tom jennings<tomj@xxxxxxx>

T-14 is a different length, so you'll need a new driveshaft; give a
driveshaft shop your old one and the new length and they'll make one up
better than factory.

Is the speedo gear in the same location? That's the only other thing I could
think of that would prevent it from being bolt-in, and even that would not
be fatal.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"