Re: [AMC-list] What I Did this Weekend

"Bruce Griffis" <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx> said:

>> I'm trying to figure out what to do about the sunvisors, I'll probably
>> just bring them to a shop - but that won't be until after I replace
>> the windshield gasket and rear window gasket on my car.

If all they need is cleaning up & re-stitching, ship them to me and I'll re-stitch them for $30 for a pair.  I have some HD thread in-stock.  If you want an exact match, take one of your sunvisors to a sewing store and pick out the thread you think matches best.  Get a heavy-duty type thread.

Speaking of threads...  I've been thinking...

I might start doing upholstery kits.  Just got a HD upholstery shop sewing machine and had the idea that there are seatcovers many of us need that will **never** be repro'd, so might as well see if I can pick up a few patterns and make some.  I did upholstery work for a shop in the early eighties; it ain't rocket science.  I can't see why a simple bench seatcover that can be put on in a couple of hours by a guy with no upholstery skills, but who can think for himself, is mechanically inclined, and has a pair of hog ring pliers, should cost $1200 to get re-done at an upholstery shop (which is the lowest of several quotes I got when doing a car interior a year ago - ended up doing them myself for about $50 in material and a day's labor).  I figure if I can make a seatcover *set* profitably for about $200 to $300, everyone's ahead.

MARC MONTONI
Harrisonburg VA
http://FreeVirginia.blogspot.com/
Freedom.  Responsibility.  www.LP.org
Cu vi parolas Esperanton?
I'd rather push a Rambler than drive a Toyota.
Visit www.AMCRC.com or www.AMONational.com .
http://RichmondRambler.tripod.com/
http://Hasdrubal.tripod.com/Index.htm