From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, December 28, 2010 1:35:35 PM
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Too Much Oil

The 65 models actually had a solution. The oil line comes off the flat side of
the block near the front, not off the main oil gallery. The 90 taps into the
front cam bearing shell, which has a hole in it to feed the head. The front cam
journal has a slot cut in it about 1/3 of the way around. Oil only fed to the
head 1/3 of a revolution of the cam. So restricting oil flow by compressing
(flattening) the line or something like that should work.

Pre 65 models (the change occurred late in 64, actually) have a single line with
a T in the head. The line feeds from the main oil gallery (the "hump" down the
right side near the bottom of the block) to the T. The T is hollow and feeds the
head then the oil filter. Once pressurized you get as much flow in the head as
if there were no T though. A smaller line would work also. I seem to recall that
is a 1/8" line. Dropping to a 1/18" might be too much though. A couple adapters
would do it. If it's a 3/16" line dropping to 1/8" would be great!

------------------
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 14:07:30 -0500
From: Bruce Griffis<bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>

Joe - I'll let others chime in, but my '65 has a lot of oil running to
the head. It used to leak a substantial amount from under the rocker
cover, especially towards the back of the head. I followed
recommendations and popped off the valve cover, cleaned it, ran a bead
of RTV sealant around it and bedded in a new valve cover gasket.

It still leaks a bit. Not nearly as much as it used to - but that
helped quite a bit. My '65 has a fitting, then has a line running to a
fitting in the head. It's a straight shot, and a LOT of oil
(especially noticable when popping off the valve cover and adjusting
the valves).

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Joe Fulton<piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

> >  I think I have too much oil going to the head on my 195.6, which is causing
>the
> >  rocker cover gasket to leak.?? I plumbed a separate line to the head?from
>the
> >  oil gallery in the block.?? There's an old discussion (which I think Frank
>S.
> >  contributed to) on the AMC Forum about this problem.? Evidently the engine
>was
> >  designed to have a Tee fitting off of the oil line to the filter instead of
> >  separate line to the head.?? I'll put an partial obstruction (or orifice of
>some
> >  sort) in the line to partially restrict the flow of oil to the head.? Joe
>Fulton
-- Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"
Magazine (AMC)