[AMC-list] Shank's Mare

Well, I temporarily fixed the headliner and finished the radio installation
today after getting rained out yesterday.   I also got the dome light working
but I still need a dome light lens for a 65 American if anyone has one.  The 66
and later fixtures are different but I have one of those lenses to trade.

I took the Rambler for one mile circuit around my neighborhood.  I had very
little gas in the tank, but the gauge does seem to be working.  I still have no
muffler and the exhaust blows back directly on the tank about one foot away.
Either the small amount of gas got hot from the exhaust and then vapor locked
the car or the fuel level was low enough that it starved for fuel.  Anyway it
stalled about 1/4 mile away from the house and I had to walk home and get my
pickup and the gas can.   It started right up with two more gallons of fresh
fuel in the tank.

But I noticed that I have a fuel leak around where the rubber fuel hose goes
into the metal filler pipe for the tank.  I had never noticed it before but I
had not added much gas at one time either.   I have replaced the tank with a new
65 Mustang tank and sender and brazed that fuel pipe on there by just estimating
the angle up to the filler hose and the angle is a little too shallow for the
filler hose to mate easily.   It could be a real b@tch to fix.   I'll try simple
solutions first but I'm not looking forward to that hassle.

I think I have the car tuned up well, but it sputters a little when I accelerate
from about 20 mph.   I noticed a little jumpiness in the timing last weekend
when I put the timing light on it.  The vacuum advance seems to be working as
does the centrifugal advance.   BUT I ordered a rebuilt distributor from
Rockauto and should have it tomorrow.  I have a Pertronix ignitor and their high
voltage coil on the way too.

Joe Fulton