Re: [AMC-list] LEADS: FOR SALE: 75 Matador 4 dr SIX CYL in Cato, NY

wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx said:

>Dang. That's a keeper. should have enough unique qualities to attract any lover of the "odd ball".
>   That big car with the 258 and COUMN SHIFT STICK!  Should be packing a 3:54 AMC 20 too!

Hmmm... Never thought about that.

>Wonder who ordered that one?
>I can just see the dealers face. Wondering what he'd do with it if it didn't sell.

There were actually quite a few sixes sold in Matadors.

I once picked up a 75 Matador with **232** and AT.  I happened to pass by it and it caught my eye because it had very obvious clumsily-removed side and rear emblems.  Turns out it had been a fire chief's car, and it had all kinds of cool goodies even though it was only a six.  Big, fat police aramid radials, 15" wheels, the fattest sway bars I've ever seen on *any* AMC, high-rated springs with the police part # shocks, AC, PS (with the special police fast-ratio box), heaviest-duty suspension possible, the sp[ecial-order police power disc brakes, factory AM/FM stereo ...  Of all the good-handling AMC's I've had, that one was by far the best.

Just underpowered as hell.

My mother drove that car for about 3 years.  It started leaking oil, and of course she ignored the oil light, so eventually a lifter or three burned up and it was clacking loudly....  I sold it to some kid for $50, with full disclosure about the oil use and lifter noise, told him I'd only trust it around town and it needed a rebuild, even put most of that in writing....  He came back in a week, whining because his $50 car's engine locked up while on a drive to MARYLAND!!

russ hathaway <russh97309@xxxxxxxxx> said:

>nice interior, looks straight, too bad its on the wrong side of the country. With the rare 289 six yet......Russ

Yep.

It also the wrong price.  I almost made this a Pie In The Sky car, because it's $2500 which is about $2000 more than it's really worth, and without a title it's worth about $200 less.

In contrast, I bought that real cherry 77 Matador [indirectly] from the Steve Green collection last month, for only $2000.  With a title.

-------------------------

One of my dream cars would be a Matador Coupe with six and three speed.  I wouldn't mind Brad Denning's 4-speed 401 Coupe, either.  Who has that thing now?

-- Marc

MARC MONTONI
Harrisonburg VA
http://FreeVirginia.blogspot.com/
Freedom.  Responsibility.  www.LP.org
Cu vi parolas Esperanton?
I'd rather push a Rambler than drive a Toyota.
Visit www.AMCRC.com or www.AMONational.com .
http://RichmondRambler.tripod.com/
http://Hasdrubal.tripod.com/Index.htm