[AMC-list] Fine Tuning

I still haven't had the Rambler out on the road.  It's goes next Saturday for the exhaust system but I was fine tuning today and noticed that even at idle RPM it would not die when the idle mixture was totally closed. I have a tune-up tach and a vacuum gauge.  20 inches of vacuum at idle and it doesn't move at all when you shut the idle mixture down.  At 800 rpm it should be operating on the idle mixture right?

 So it looks like the carb has an internal fuel leak somewhere  or the timp of the idle mixture need is worn or something. I've noticed that the plugs are pretty black but I thought that was due to just running it at idle in the driveway while tuning, setting the valves etc.  The carb is a Carter RBS.  I have several more of these in a box in storage and I may go grab one tomorrow and see if I can fix this.

If anyone else has experience tuning a RBS, I'd appreciate some suggestions.  I did rebuild this carb so I had the linkage off all apart and one time.  I though I assembled it correctly but I'll compare it to a couple of spare carbs tomorrow to make sure.

No transmission leaks yet.  That's a good thing.   Joe Fulton