Sent: Friday, October 22, 2010 10:00 AM
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] hinges & hoods breaking (was: olga's mattador)

Speaking of hood hinges, how about the flat wound hood hinge spring used on the Rebels? I had one break late last year. Found out the hard way that if these aren't kept lubed up, they not only make very bad noises when opening and shutting the hood, but will also be put under undo stress which is not a good thing for a 40 year old part.

By chance, have you got one or a pair of these you might be looking to part with Eddie? I placed my request with Jim for a pair of them last year when he was chopping up a 68 Rebel. That appears to have gone by the wayside. I know Jim's a busy guy and I've been very patient, but it's now a year later and the broomstick hood prop method is getting a bit old!

Any help you can provide in locating a pair of these or maybe a manufacturer lead would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "russ hathaway" <russh97309@xxxxxxxxx>; <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; <baadassGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2010 10:05 AM

Komrad Russ, the shock towers are high selling point on car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMC-Matador-olga-cassine-/150508069113?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item230afae0f9

Better than Lada!

http://www.oldrussiancars.com/

Actually some of those old Russian cars are rather cool. Frozen probably, but cool. As for the Matty, the biggest problem on them was NOT shock towers....but hoods too heavy for springs. They commonly, and I do mean commonly, break or crack just in front of the hood hinges in the metal which was not reinforced. This extended to all 74-78 Matadors....including coupes......four doors and wagons, and also the one year only coffin nosed 74 Ambassador. There is a AMC memo out there letting dealers know about keeping the hinges well greased, but that would not solve problem, you just had factory defect there. This sometimes extended to the Hornet and gremlin models as while hoods not as heavy, when you would go to close the hood it would buckle in same spot due to weakness in metal and one (or both) of the hinges giving way. Want to see photo, email me directly and ask for 77 AMX hood photo which has this problem. I also have had a number of AMCs with this 'collaspable hood syndrome' thru the years unfortunately. And have to replace usually whole hood and or both hinges.
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "russ hathaway" <russh97309@xxxxxxxxx> To: "Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Rambler Nash Jeep and familyAMC" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2010 12:46 AM
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] olga's mattador

Eddie; whats he mean by "the shock towers rusting". Is this just another persistant story that circulates, like Chevy supplying the 327 engines to rambler.....Russ