Re: [AMC-list] 4.0 Head question

Thanks for the info. Ya I have done the 4.0 swap on my Gremlin.
On Oct 6, 2010, at 8:23 PM, Sandwich Maker wrote:

" From: RAY MICK <rmick@xxxxxxx>
"
" Anyone know which 4.0 cylinder head casting number works best for
" installing on 258? Wanting to install a 4.0 head onto my 81 S/X4.

they all work well for that, but most often used are the early '90s
7120 or late '90s 0630, as they line up with the early '90s obd1 efi
that was the base for mopar's retrofit kit.

looking the other way, '87-'90 258s are the best for 4.0 head swaps as
they have the same wide deck - no water passage doctoring - and went
back to 1/2" head bolts.  next best would probably be '70s 258s, which
also have 1/2" head bolts, and cylinder walls thick enough for 4.0
slugs.  '81-6 258s have 7/16" bolts and water passage mismatch to deal
with.

why not swap an entire 4.0?  you wouldn't be the first...

Ray Mick
The older I get the faster I was.
Somewhere in Kansas

See my AMC's @