Re: [AMC-list] Tom J. Here's your wagon

It's an extremely rare FOUR CYLINDER too! ;>
It's nice when people know what they have. But since it's a 64 with a 196 maybe the
guy drove it but didn't look under the hood... No more power than a 80s four cylinder
anyway! Maybe less if it's an L-head, and it could be!

My only concern with Tom and an American wagon is that it's a bit smaller than
the Classic. At six foot the Classic is just right for me, if I were any taller
I'd want to move the seat back a bit, and that takes up rear leg room, which the
American wagon has a couple inches less of to start with. For hauling four people
around the Classic is just about the smallest I'd want to go. The popular 80s and
90s GM "A" body (Buick Century was the last to use it in 96, I had a 87 Pontiac
6000 A body) and just as popular Ford Taurus (pre 96 "Jelly Bean" models) are roughly
the same size. Partially it's the "just right" size that made them popular.

I don't really care as much for the 67 and later larger Rebels, but they aren't a
lot bigger. A 4.0L would move one decently, but I wouldn't want anything less. They
are okay with a 232 or 258, but most people would agree that if you're ever really
hauling anything (like Tom does!) it could use a bit more power. A 69 Rebel wagon
only shows a shipping weight of 400-500 pounds over a 63 though, so maybe it's just me!
Tom's used to a 232 in the 63, a 258 in the 67-69 Rebel might be just fine, especially
with a few improvements. Incidentally, the 71 Matador wagon gained another 200 pounds
over the 70 Rebel.

I really like the 63-64 body style over the later ones, and would get another in a
heart beat to replace mine... like I did last time. For a long-term driver it's well
worth the effort to strip it down and replace the torque tube drive so a more modern
drivetrain can be used. The 4.0L EFI and AW4 (or five speed) combo works well in the
car and bolts right in place of a 232, just have to work on the trans mount. It's not
hard to put a 67+ rear axle and four link in since it's basically the same floorpan
(just about an inch narrower). The rear tread is only an inch wider, so stock wheels
and tires should fit, but 3-3/4" backset 7" aftermarket wheels are pretty common
(that's the American Racing "custom" backset, normal for 7" wheel is 3-1/2"). I know
the 3-3/4" backset 7" aftermarket wheels would fit with the largest practical rubber
on them. Some welding is required -- the lower arm mounts must be fabbed and welded
to the sills and the side mounts for the upper arm crossmember must be fabbed (really
just some 1"x1"x1/8" angle iron) and welded in. Then the crossmember itself needs
about 1/2" trimmed off each end. After that it's a bolt-in job. Driveshaft will
need shortening though.

Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 20:59:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joe Fulton<piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Tom said he wanted a Rambler wagon to replace his 63 Classic. Here's a possibility:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/1977178521.html

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"