From: "Daigle, Marcus P SSG MIL USA FORSCOM" <drcool.daigle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: amc-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 00:18:24
To: AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] '87 Alliance Convertible . . . it's alive! (Cooling
 probs.) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Justin,

I haven't looked at an Allianc/Encore in ages, but it sounds like it has the same cooling setup 4.0l jeep cherokees(87-90). This si how i fill my cherokees cooling system, because trying to bleed the system takes way to long. i pull the top radiator hose(or the highest hose @ the radiator. Pour coolent intop the hose until it starts coming out the radiator. Reconnect hose, fill system. Run system with heater on high to purge all the air. turn off engine, loosen cap until hissing is heard. Once hissing has stopped, top off system if needed. Squeeze upper radiator hose until you see/ hear coolent swishing around(this helps purge the air). Top off coolent, if needed. If your system still runs hot, change your thermostat if it's not new and check the temp sender for proper operation.(correct ohms for gauge, continuity/ short for light) I have an eagle that reads hot all the time. One more thing to check is temp of the coolant. either with an IR point and shoot thermometer or use
 a cookie/ backing themometer (it's a long mucury thermometer) slowly remove the pressure cap(let pressure vent first) and slip the thermometer into the tank with the engine running. It's normal for the coolant to pump through the tank. Make sure all the hoses are routed correctly for the tank and heater. should be a pic/ diagram in the book.

Hope this helps,

Marcus

On 09/28/10, Justin shelton Osadjan  <sheltonosadjan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, Frank:
>
> Thanks for the response.  I did air-bleed the system (once road-side when I
> noticed the needle go up and a second time in the driveway after I got home.)
>
> When the car got up to temp (meaning the needle was at the bottom end of the hot
> side) I turned the engine off and listened for hissing and also smelled for
> radiator fluid, but didn't find any problems on either count.  The plastic
> filler/overflow bottle that sits at the firewall just below the passenger side
> of the windshield seems to be fine - no visible cracks.  I'll check out the cap
> for pressurization as you suggest next time I'm with the car.  I did notice that
> there is a constant stream of warm coolant being circulated into that tank from
> a hose coming from the heater core . . .  I thought it was sort of an odd
> set-up, but then I was assuming this was just an expansion tank at first.  Worth
> nothing: there is still an AMC logo printed on the upper radiator hose.  I
> should really find a replacement - Rockauto seems to have a lot of what I need.
> Someone let me know if they ever have free shipping; shipping cost was the only
> thing stopping me from placing an order with them this morning!
>
> I posted three pics of the car at the renault-na site today, but I'm not sure if
> you have to be a member to see them or not.
>

> Other than the cooling issue, my short list of fixes consists of: get seat belt
> retractors working.  Replace vacuum line to transmission. Figure out why
> interior light's not working.  Find correct floor mats.  Wet-sand the hood and
> trunk lid to clean up fuzzy clear-coat.  I like to think it's all do-able in a
> day . . .
>
> Justin

SSG Marcus P Daigle
B Co 22D Chemical Battalion (TE)