[AMC-list] T-35 Transmission Stuff

I got the 65 Rambler registered this week, in spite of the recent furloughs and long lines at the DMV here in Kalifornia.

But the car has a pretty messy transmission leak, which I think is coming from the shifter shaft o-ring.  I had parted out a fairly low mileage Rambler 330 a couple of years ago and decided I would take a change on resealing the T-35 transmission from that car and putting it in the blue Rambler.   I have never actually driven this transmission so it was essentailly a pig in a poke but I thought I would open it and see if it looked good and if so, I would reseal it.    The soft parts kit came from Northwest transmission parts   Pics are below. ( You may have to cut and paste to see photos.)

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/?action=view&current=003.jpg

The T-35 tag.   There's an AMC part number on the tag and the -35 digits indicate it's a T-35.

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/?action=view&current=005.jpg

Front seal as fount.

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/?action=view&current=009-1.jpg

New front seal intalled.  I used a little blue RTV on the outside of the seal (insurance against leaks).
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/?action=view&current=007.jpg

Rear seal as found.

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/?action=view&current=011-1.jpg
Transmission mount looks very good and has pliable rubber.  The mount has not obviously been oil soaked.  The car had sat in the CA desert for years before it got it.

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/?action=view&current=010.jpg

Oill pan showing shifter arm in the bottom of the photo.  The shaft on that arm is retained by a tapered pin which I was not able to remove.  I tried to make a tool to remove that pin but after spending most of an afternoon, I was not able to remove the pin.  The Kent-Moore tool required is a J-9644.  I know a guy who has one but he doesn't loan tools.

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/?action=view&current=012.jpg
Oil pan after romoval.  Not the alnico magnet in the pan, covered with a few metallic shavings.  I'm hoping this is normal.   The rest of the tranny looked clean, but I did clean the screens.
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/?action=view&current=013.jpg

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/?action=view&current=014.jpg

Screen before cleaning.  It has a little debris on it.

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/?action=view&current=015.jpg
Screen after cleaning.

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/?action=view&current=017.jpg
All buttoned up.   I had bead blasted the exterior of the pan and used some machine grey spray paint I had on the shelf.  I will try to get this installed this weekend.  I hav ethe big nut driveshaft but I don't intend the mess with the big nut.  The TSM says to move disconned the rear axle at the springs and move it back.  That's what I plan to do.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA