From: Ken Ames <ameskg@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] 81 Concord vacuum leak
To: "AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, September 24, 2010, 9:41 PM

The local Pick'n'Pull 'coerced' me in to buying a good 81 Concord sedan last
month. Among other minor problems (ball joints, carb, brake cable, etc.) was a
vacuum leak I couldn't pin down. All the hoses and manifold bolts seemed proper
but I could still hear it near the carb. Spraying fluids around there didn't
make any change. I'd noticed the power brakes were sometimes hard to use but
attributed that to the fact when the engine is cold I have to keep extra
throttle on to keep it running and that would reduce the vacuum available to the
booster. Today on a whim I decided the check the power brakes and how-about-that
the booster is leaking. The engine ran quite differently when the hose to the
booster was plugged. So off to PnP for another booster (which still held vacuum
after sitting for a few weeks) and all is much better now. The rubber on the
booster right where the master cylinder bolts up has a bit missing. It would
appear that there is a need to have even this spot leak proof.

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r122/AMCKenA/?action=view¤t=NC2161.jpg

Ken