Re: [AMC-list] American wagons...

People say the 4 cyl is gutless, but I can tell you it's a wonder! (gutless wonder) My '86 MJ with 2.5L 5 speed and 4.10s with 235/75/15s rolled across the scale at 6500lbs on my trip to Ouray, CO and back to Seattle. Tools, parts, spare gas, 3 spare tires, 3 adults and camping gear (I had just converted it to 4x4 and lifted it 3" before we left) That was when it had 170,000 miles on it (I was second owner. It was traded in due to "lack of power" when the single injector was clogged)
   We dropped to 45 mph on the mountain climbs in a few spots, but kept up to the speed limit the rest of the time.

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] American wagons...

Not that I want to discourage you from a Rambler, but you might want to
consider something newer for your primary driver. The XJ Cherokees (at
least through 1996) are as close to that old quality/frugal engineering
as you can come in a more or less modern vehicle. That's one reason they
stayed in production so long and sold well throughout. The 97+ models
tend to have a few more bells and whistles, but you CAN still find plain
ones. you should be able to find a 2WD model there in "SC". Even the
four cylinder models are good, especially with the five speed, but if
you plan on towing anything more than that light pop-up camper you have
you'll want a 4.0L.