Re: [AMC-list] pacer axle interchange with gremlin (rear axle hubs)

All the below is correct. I would think a used hub on a different axle would be fine for a daily driver with a stock to mild engine. The hub MUST be torqued to 200-250 ft/lbs though. As long as it will torque down I doubt there will ever be a problem, but it may not be quite as strong as a virgin hub would be. The only other choice, however, is to replace the entire axle/hub or complete rear axle assembly.

------------
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 22:54:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (Sandwich Maker)

" ----- Original Message -----
" From: Harold Worthington
" To: Eddie Stakes
" Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 9:38 PM
" Subject: Re: pacer axle
"
" Hey Eddie, I got the axle hub off the Gremlin and it worked like a
" charm. So now, We both know that the Gremlin will fit Thanks for
" checking any way. Maybe next time. Harold

2 things about this strike me:

1. he said axle hub, not entire axle.  i'd expect amc15 hubs to all be
   the same, and i wouldn't be surprised if they also covered amc20s.
2. hubs and axles become a matched pair after 1st assembly - the hard
   axle has knurls that cut matching splines into the softer hub.
   this is why it's critical to mark the hubs if you ever have to take
   them off, so they can be reassembled precisely as originally.  i do
   not know if hubs can properly or safely be reused on other axles
   afterward but i'm doubtful having always heard the above.

i hope he at least torqued the hub to the proper 200 ft-lbs.

From: Joe Fulton<piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Fw: pacer axle interchange with gremlin

Really, the only source for a hub now is used hub. I bent a hub on my Pacer and replaced it with a Concord hub (both sixes). I haven't driven the car much but it's OK so far.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"