Re: [AMC-list] Engine Sputter

Mike,

My first thought would be a problem with the accelerator pump in the carb. With the engine off, hold the choke open, look down the carb throat, and open the throttle quickly. You should see a steady stream or two of fuel shoot out of the side near the float bowl. If you don't see this (or it dribbles out), the accelerator pump is bad and you'll need to rebuild the carb to fix it.

Other things that can cause this are a vacuum leak, problems with the ignition system (mechanical or vacuum advance issues, improper point adjustment, bad coil), and/or general tune-up issues. Also, since the coil was replaced, you need to make sure it is for a 6 volt system and not a 12 volt system.

Matt

On 7/27/2010 5:39 PM, mask1966@xxxxxxx spouted this sage advice:
Now that my '51 Rambler has brakes, I've discovered a problem with the way it runs and accelerates. It starts well with the manual choke and idles smoothly. When accelerating it bucks and sputters like a wild bull. The previous owner installed a new fuel pump, points, plugs, condenser, cap, wires all to no avail. FYI, still 6V system. Soon it will go to the body shop and get paint, but I'd like to drive it there easily.
Any thought on what might be causing this misfire condition? Maybe our collective knowledge will keep me from going with the shotgun approach with this one. Thanks in advance.

Mike Klepp

--
mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH