[AMC-list] 232 Water Pump Chapter 4

I think it's chapter four at least.   The sage continues.   I went to the junkyard today and got the water outlet off of the 258 in a 77 Hornet wagon.  It's the same as the one which broke; it's cast iron and has the long slot for the bypass opening.   I went to the most convenient auto parts store and got a water outlet gasket for a 232 in a 65 Rambler.   That gasket has the round hole of the water bypass opening but it is shaped very similar, bolt holes line up and it looks otherwise like it fit.

No joy, when I put it on.   Big leak near the bypass slot (driver side of the head).  So now I remembered that I had at least on complete overhaul gasket set here at home for rebuilding a 232/258 and when I checked I found that the gasket set contains both types of water outlest gaskets.  I could compare them to the water outlet casting and I could see that the gasket with the slot fit much better.    So the lesson learned here is that you need to order the gasket for the water outlet casting that came off of your motor, not necessarily the year of the motor.

Joe Fulton