Re: [AMC-list] 82 Concord speedometer cable tooth gear wanted

Re: [AMC-list] 82 Concord speedometer cable tooth gear wanted

I took the Concord wagon back over to place that rebuilt transmissiona nd they fixed it for free, the speedo tooth gear looked like grandma's teeth so quite worn out. I told them leave dash alone which was dismantled, stuff hanging everywhere, and put most of back together this afternoon in the rain, windows up of course, so nice and tropical, probably lost 5 pounds, or 3 1/2 burritos. But speedometer works great again, can't believe spent $1K on rebuilt trans and they didn't notice that the gear on this was shot go figure.

Jim up in Idaho mentioned also, and worth repeating:
"Eddie.....

Before replacing things I would first check the Speedometer Cable trany
input cover to make sure it is the right location and is against the
drive gear inside the trany.....there is a mark on the cover where it
should be located......if this is all ok then yes you may need a new
cable or drive gear.....since it is a lo mile car I would replace part
with like parts....ie; same color drive gear as you now have....most AMC
vendors have replacement cables and drive gears.....or any trany
shop that works on TF trany's should be able to get you a new
speedometer drive gear."

Great point and I copied my shop manual pages which actuall shows this with plug at 32-38 teeth the plug should be at 32-38 and what not, but took it up there to them and left it. So I learned something myself with that as didn't know the black plug has to be turned a certain way for the speedo.

I do want to thank everyone who replied also, it is appreciated!
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com

----- Original Message ----- Ken Ames asked: "What size tires and which rear ration do you have? We could tell you what toexpect for the driven gear. : )"

my original plead!
Eddie Stakes <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hey everyone, I recently bought a low miler 82 Concord DL wagon from original owner and the speedometer does not work. I pulled gauges and dash area to see if the cable spins when driving, nothing happened. Figured would be good time to change a few burned out little gauge cluster bulbs anyways. It looks like I will be needing the speedometer cable tooth gear that goes inside the trans. Anyone know where to get one, my mechannic said it is a 727 in there with the 258-6, I say it is a 904, the book shows several plastic gears with variety of teeth. Feel free to reply here as I will be reading and thanks in advance to all who might reply.