Re: [AMC-list] Super Sleeper

Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> said:

>The 401 puts the car in "street rod" territory, "custom" at least! That adds far to the value considering it's a Rambler. My wagon 660, for instance, is valued around $7500 if it had been restored perfectly stock with the 196, auto, and factory AC. It's valued at $14000-$15000 as a mild custom/street rod, figure twice the restored price. Phil's 62 Custom (trim level name) two door sedan is valued at $7750 fully restored with the six (no V-8 option in 62, but 63 adds only 5% for the 287 V-8). That it's a very well done, proven reliable 401 car makes it easily worth the same range I'd give for my car -- $14-15K.
>
>Now if I was asked what I could actually GET for my car I'd have to say $10-14K, depending on how bad I wanted to sell and how long I held out. I wouldn't even consider taking $14K for it, but that's probably a realistic high value. I once told a guy who bugged me about what I'd take for at a cruise-in that he could drive away for $20K. He surprisingly asked me if it was really worth that much, and I told him no, around $15K would be a high value, but if he wanted it no less than $20K would convince me to sell. Mine has a lot of attractive "options" (Jag axle, rack and pinion steering, four wheel power disc brakes, tilt column, other modernizing touches) that Phil's doesn't -- Phil's 62 is basically a "resto-rod", mostly stock except for the "improved" drivetrain. The 401 makes a lot of difference! Even though my EFI 4.6L straight six has the power of many small V-8s (probably not too close to Phil's 401!) it's still a six and that brings value down.

I think there is a small chance of getting that kind of money.  I know I'm going to catch hell from some quarters for saying so, but one look at the "Completed Listings" on eBay tells the story, unembellished.

When you see a perfect ...  PERFECT 69 Ambassador SST hardtop with 12,000 original miles, 343 4 bbl, optioned out to the hilt, struggle through six relistings with progressively falling reserve and never getting anywhere close -- then finally selling at a measly $11,000, then it's obvious that lesser cars are going to struggle even worse.  This was only one example, from a couple of years ago when there were more people who had home equity line money available to spend.

There are precious few Ramblers, or even AMC's, that will fetch even $7 or 8k.

The 401 in the Ambassador makes it an interesting car, however, and if it's put together well, I can see it fetching a 100% or so premium over a similar stocker.

There's a fellow in south Richmond who had a 66 Ambassador 2 dr hardtop, 327, automatic, buckets.  He listed it in the local trading paper for almost five years, starting out at $5000.  I looked at it at the beginning.  It was running, but the trans was kayo'd and the interior was shot.

Years later, he still had it, and got to the point where he was advertising it for $200 and got no takers.  He ended up getting $170 for scrap.  He called me before he sent it away, and asked if I was interested.  I'd looked at it when it was $5000 and told him I'd give him $150 for it.  When he finally came down to my price, years of having no air cleaner, valve covers taken off, and other things he'd diddled around with over half a decade had resulted in a  locked-up engine (I tried, and I don't give up a 327 easily) and tires sunk so deep into the mud that the entire underside of the body had been stewing for years.

It annoys me when someone thinks they have a $15,000 car when the best cash that will ever show up is $500.  These people eventually get pissed off at the AMC hobby and simply rip the car up for parts, or junk it outright, and we all lose.

-- Marc