Re: [AMC-list] Identify 65 AMC 20

Letters weren't stamped on the diff to identify rear axle ratio until 1970 for the AMC 20, 1972 for the AMC 15. Double letters were usually used to indicate Twin-Grip. Twin-Grip got a different single letter code starting in 1977 (i.e.: B = 3.15 standard, P = 3.15 TG).

Prior to 1970 (72 for the 15) the gear ratio was indicated by a tag on one of the cover bolts with the number of teeth on the pinion and ring gear written as a fraction. 13/41 (or 13-41) indicated a 13 tooth pinion gear with a 41 tooth ring gear. Divide 41 by 13 and you get 3.15. Twin-Grip was indicated by a tag on the filler plug of the AMC 15. I don't know where the tag is attached on the 20. All the TSMs say "tag attached to the rear cover filler plug" even though we know there is no such plug on the AMC 20 axle. Chalk that one up to the editors who didn't know any better, and no one caught it throughout the 60s! There is a tag either on the filler plug near the pinion shaft or a rear cover bolt.

The only problem with the tag on the filler plug is that it's probably gone if the axle lube has ever been changed. Many of the gear ratio tags are gone for the same reason, though I always put them back. If the tag is missing the rear cover has to come off to identify Twin-Grip. With the cover off if you can clearly see the spider gears through two large openings in the differential carrier you have a standard diff. If the gears are enclosed then you have a Twin-Grip. There will be 5-6 small openings off to one side to allow lube into the case.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"