Re: [AMC-list] AMC-list Digest, Vol 15, Issue 18

"Armand Eshleman"<aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>Jesse was mentioning that he was planning to pull glass out of a car he was
>parting out. It would be nice if we could get a few tricks and tips posted
>here about glass removal.

Actually it's usually pretty easy to get the rubber-gasketed windshields out, without ruining the gasket that is probably unobtanium:

Push!

Like the factory TSM'ssay, apply gentle pressure to the top corners from inside the car, until the rubber pops to the outside of the flange, and work your way around.  Once it's loose at the top, it's all downhill.  At some point you'll be able to just slide the glass up and out.

And you'll still have a gasket to reinstall.  Fortunately, AMC used good-quality rubber and even 50 years later, they can still be pliable enough to remove & reuse.

-- Marc

P.S.  Piano wire works well for cutting the butyl rubber (not urethane).  Get a few diff thicknesses and play around to see which one cuts the best.  When I was doing a lot of windshield R&R for the body shop I worked for twenty years ago, I normally got a dozen windshields out of a piece of piano wire, and didn't break one.

Here's one fairly good guide:

http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/54pontiac/WindshieldInstallation.html