From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] windshield removal
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, June 7, 2010, 12:09 PM

Real simple -- unless the gasket is fairly new (a year old -- maybe two -- is as far as I'd try to save!) CUT the gasket at the glass line on the outside. Real easy to use a razor utility knife to do so. Then sit on the front seat and push out with both feet as evenly as possible. Same with back glass. No point in breaking a $300+ windshield trying to save a $100 (or less) gasket! Well, for 60s cars anyway.

For 70s cars with the "glued in" windshield it gets trickier. Remove all trim then use a nail or small punch to make a hole in the urethane behind the glass. Thread a piece of wire (1/16" or small braided cable works best)through the hole and wrap around a "stick" or screwdriver. Get a helper, then pull and saw the wire around the windshield. When the wire breaks start over! 70+ windshields are much harder to get out than the older ones, but are less likely to pop out in a wreck. The old ones could, though I've never seen a windshield pop out. The rear side glasses popped out of my wagon when it was hit and didn't even break!

---------------
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 07:45:07 -0500
From: "Armand Eshleman"<aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Jesse was mentioning that he was planning to pull glass out of a car he was
parting out. It would be nice if we could get a few tricks and tips posted
here about glass removal.

-- Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"
Magazine (AMC)