Re: [AMC-list] 68 Javelin upper control arm bushings

Re: [AMC-list] 68 Javelin upper control arm bushings

The urethane trunnion bushings for the 64+ small cars aren't bad. I don't recall a lot of groan from my Classic with the urethane bushing up front, but just couldn't bear the shock from pot holes. In Biloxi MS the roads weren't all that great due to being so close to the coast and a low water table. I could FEEL the jolt through the floor! The only sure cure is to cut the ends of the rods and weld on a threaded stud the right size, or cut the stock rods and weld the back half of Concord (et. al.) rods on. Either works, just need a good welder. Of send me a set of rods and I'll do it for you. A wire welder is a little iffy, but if you bevel the adjoining ends with a 1/8" flat in the center and fill it in flat you should have a strut rod as strong (likely stronger!) than the original. I used a DC "stick" welder for mine -- 6011 root, 7018 fill, grind smooth, paint, looks like factory. ------------------------- Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 23:11:27 -0700 From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

It depends on where that poly*is*. At the inside end of the arms only, I
can't believe it makes much difference.  Front half of the strut rod, sure
as hell does. I'm running half poly half rubber in the Classic, no choice
really with the stock strut rods. It's noticable.

Also I got a lot of urethane groan, for years, it sounded just like a
crapped up worn out suspension it was so noisy! I finally found that a disc
of 1/16" teflon sheet (the real stuff, made in the 1960's, I got surplus
from Los Alamos Scientific Lab) shut it up and isn't squirting out from the
pressure. It's been in there for months now and still silent and still
there.

I know (I think) that AMXs and later Americans have a bushing at the
trunnion, with that urethane I dunno, but it would have to be a bit harsher.
I think worse is that for my Classic as far as I know you can't get the
rubber cup insulators for the spring to sit on, I think that would quiet a
lot of road noise. My classic is a bit like a truck now.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"