Re: [AMC-list] 68 Javelin upper control arm bushings

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, poly bushings are harder and transmit more road vibration to the
> inside of the car. On a smooth road you won't notice a lot of difference,
> but on rough roads or hitting pot holes you certainly will notice a much
> harder ride. I could feel a jar every time I hit a hard bump when I had poly
> strut rod bushings. Control arm bushings won't be quite as bad.

It depends on where that poly *is*. At the inside end of the arms only, I
can't believe it makes much difference.  Front half of the strut rod, sure
as hell does. I'm running half poly half rubber in the Classic, no choice
really with the stock strut rods. It's noticable.

Also I got a lot of urethane groan, for years, it sounded just like a
crapped up worn out suspension it was so noisy! I finally found that a disc
of 1/16" teflon sheet (the real stuff, made in the 1960's, I got surplus
from Los Alamos Scientific Lab) shut it up and isn't squirting out from the
pressure. It's been in there for months now and still silent and still
there.

I know (I think) that AMXs and later Americans have a bushing at the
trunnion, with that urethane I dunno, but it would have to be a bit harsher.
I think worse is that for my Classic as far as I know you can't get the
rubber cup insulators for the spring to sit on, I think that would quiet a
lot of road noise. My classic is a bit like a truck now.