Re: [AMC-list] 68 Javelin upper control arm bushings

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 3:49 PM, <wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't know what you guys do to your cars when you put the poly. Bushings
> in and get a "harsh ride" but I can assure you my Americans ride is not
> "harsh". In fact it has a better ride than any of the other vehicles I
> drive.
>   Harsh is the last word I would say about mine!
>   Come go for a ride.
> I'll prove it on some of the crappiest roads in the nation!

Maybe I should have asked which ones we're all talking about here...

If we're talking about the arm inner pivots only, then yeah, I can't see how
those bushings transmit much road shock to the chassis, that all happens at
the knuckle and strut.

Polyurethane strut bushings sure, they transmit crap to the chassis, been
there, doing that.

Chopped springs, low-profile radial tires, stiff shocks, all that stuff does
far worse. None of the 70's-earlier cars were designed for radials (though
who doesn't run them on the street?).

I will never buy stiff shocks ever again. Shock rate MUST match spring rate
and chassis mass, with some tuning for usage, and that's that. Severe shocks
just pound the crap out of things and prevent the springs from working. I've
been looking for how shocks are correctly chosen and there's no information
on the web, for sure. Old print catalogs used to have some of that, but it
seems gone. At some point this summer I have to call up KYB etc and see if I
can work out the correct relatively soft shocks for my very soft springs.