[AMC-list] Subject: Re: sheesh! f'!@!@!@ing

I believe that coils that use a resistor in the circuit are made to run on about 8 volts.
The resistor is bypassed when the car is starting and you get 12 volts going to an 8 volt coil and you get a very hot spark while starting.
When the engine starts and the key moves to the run position, the coil then gets power from the resistor, which is stepped down to 8 volts.
If you run the coil continuously on 12 volts, it will overheat and fail.
FWIW
Don