Re: [AMC-list] hydrogen-powered Gremlin for sale...

Lots of Postal Jeeps made in '79 had them too. DJ5-G came with 904 auto and Audi 2.0L and from what I learned you want the Jetta diesel or the Audi 5 cyl diesel and not the Rabbit diesel to bolt up.
   There have been several Toyota diesels for sale here lately (bodies falling apart from rust, but the 2LT powers on) but all have been standard trans. There is a guy in Florida who posts on Evilbay foreign diesels he brings in.

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] hydrogen-powered Gremlin for sale...

" From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
"
" " From: Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
" "
" " Hydrogen is cool and all, but I am a fan of twice-fried french fries
" " and the occasional donut. I'm thinking vegetable oil and a small Isuzu
" " diesel would be the hot ticket for my horrible diet.
"
" toyota has just about the perfect diesel repower for jeep cherokees
" and wranglers, as they sourced the same aisin warner trannies.  alas,
" while it's widely used from australia across southeast asia and india
" to europe, they don't bring it to north america.  rough guess - my
" cherokee would be up near 40mpg with one...

[following up to myself]
vw has an excellent mid-late '90s 1.9tdi that would imho be a better
diesel repower than an isuzu.  bonus: if you have a rare audi-powered
amc, it has the same tranny bolt pattern.