Re: [AMC-list] Aluminum 195.6 question

I glued my 195.6 exhaust manifolds on with a thin layer of red silicone, the
hi-temp stuff. I also had the machine shop grind the manifold flat. I didn't
check it for flatness first though. I have some others in hte pile I will
check when I get a round tuit. I used a thin layer and let it cure overnight
before I ran it.

The 232 exhaust (and intake) manifolds love to curl up with age and use, in
my experience, so given an opportunity to grind the 195.6's flat I just did
it. All this stuff is now so old nothing can get overlooked anymore. It took
a few years to get over, but I no longer treat this stuff like "car repair",
it's now "vintage engine research". It was tough. I've been driving/working
on AMC stuff since the 1970's when they were "new", then later "used cars",
etc. I'd once bought a '76 Hornet new off the dealer lot. As familiar as
that chassis is to me, it is 34 years old, an unknown brand and engineering
style to 90% of the world now!