Re: [AMC-list] time to find a stout 5 spd

Re: [AMC-list] time to find a stout 5 spd

" From: das24rules@xxxxxxxxx
"
" []
" anyone have
" any idea of another 5spd that would work behind a 401 that has o/d? the frod
" 9" i have that measures only about 1/2" wider is spooled, and has 3.89 gears
" in it right now. it is set up with coil springs and triangular 4link.

hmmm...  1st thoughts are aftermkt tremec that would fit a t150/t177
bell, or aftermkt t56 with gm pattern that would fit advance adapters
bell.  doug nash/richmond used to make a version of their 5sp with an
amc-length input for the t10 bell; a ford version would fit the
t150/t177 bell - not o/d but iirc the 6sp ver is.  all would be plenty
stout for a 401.  the t56 has a double o/d that would go well with
your 3.89s.

" From: Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I am planning to run an AX-15 behind the 290 I'm putting into my '82
" Honcho, but that may not be enough for a 401. NV6550 maybe? It's a
" little more car-like shifting.

you mean the nv3550?

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" The only other suitable trans I can think of is the FOUR SPEED OD units
" that Ford used in some cars and F-100 trucks in the 80s and early 90s.
" Three speed with fourth gear OD. I'm pretty sure it fits the same bell
" as the T-5, which is an SR4 bell (from a six).

that would be the good ol' toploader.  they have the t150/t177
toploader bolt pattern but iirc only a few have the right input
length; most are longer.  ford folks have spacer plates.  not sure
they were ever used with anything as big as a 351w.

" It might be a bit stronger than the T-5.

maybe, but probably not much.  back in the '60s there was a version
for big blocks, with a beefy 1 3/8" input and 31 spline [vs. 28]
output, but non-o/d [of course] and 1st was about on par with 2nd in
the ax15 and nv3550.  that output would gain you strength in the o/d
toploaders but there are some differences that might preclude its use.

[nb. trannies are rated by input torque, but often limited actually by
-output- torque - so the rating changes with the gearing]

" You could probably use a later Ford truck five speed.

unless they have integral bells or funny bolt patterns.  i don't think
any have the toploader pattern.

" A Jeep 4.0L five speed might be your best bet. Not the Peugeot model that
" was used behind the Renix engine, but the AX-15 or NV4500 used behind
" later models. It won't shift as fast and smooth as the T-5, but would
" certainly be stronger. They shift smooth enough for a cruiser.

i'm sure you mean the nv3550.

i read somewhere recently that the 3550 was rated 300 ft-lbs, the ax15
280.  their problem would be way-deep gearing for a 3.89-geared car.
'90-up 5.0 and current z-code t5s are rated 300 also, but before the
sale to tremec, svt 7003z t5s were as high as 330 ft-lbs.  the turbo
supra r154 should be around there too.  both are still light for a
401 though.

can't find it now, but there's someone making racing gearsets for the
t5, iirc rated 500 ft-lbs with synchros and 600 with dog clutches.
even the synchro set is extremely close ratio though and a little
silly behind a big-torque motor on the street.  $$$ too.