From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 13:22:51
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Gear oil, again

According to this site (http://www.upmpg.com/drivetrains.htm) GL-2,3,&  6 are obsolete, which is why you're not finding any. They say GL-1 is motor oil.

It looks like you can use GL-4. It has less of the corrosive high pressure additives than GL-5. Thee old VW transaxles use a similar copper alloy synchronizer as the T-96 and other older Rambler trannys, so this article is a good one: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/GearOil.html. Apparently the high pressure additives only corrode the softer alloys at a significant rate at 250° or more. You already know it's the sulphur based extreme pressure additives that cause the problem. So you should be fine with GL-4. The VW people are using it and they don't think that corrosion of the synchros is a problem with the small amount of sulphur based additive used in GL-4 -- should last "the expected life of the transmission". so the synchros last as long as expected with normal wear. I used GL-4 when I was running a t-96, and that was behind a 4.0L. Now THAT will increase wear....

As far as synthetics go, you'll need to contact the manufacturers. AMSOIL makes some that says it can be used in place of GL-4 and GL-5, but that doesn't mean it hasn't got much sulphur based extreme pressure additive. Being synthetic it may NOT have any and still meet GL-5 requirements. But then again it may.

--------------
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 23:24:53 -0700
From: tom jennings<tomj@xxxxxxx>

The motor oil I filled the T-96 with is too runny and is leaking out at a
rapid rate. I need to use real gear oil in it. The trans has bronze in it so
it needs to be GL 1 (or GL 2).

The synchros on this trans are really slow. I read somewhere that synthetic
oils improve synchro behavior. Is this true?

Should I persue finding a synth GL-1 oil? I can barely find*any*  GL-1 oils!
Last time I looked the "choice" was Royal Purple non-synth from AutoZone.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"