[AMC-list] Penetrating fluids

Got this off the GMC motorhome newsletter and thought it might be of
interest here

PENETRATING FLUID
by Dan Stuckey

Machinist?s Workshop magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on
rusted nuts with significant results. The magazine arranged a subjective
test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque
required to remove the nut from a ?scientifically rusted? environment.

Penetrating oil         Average load
None                         516 pounds
WD-40                     238 pounds
PB Blaster                 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench           127 pounds
Kano Kroil                106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix      53 pounds
The ATF-Acetone mix was a ?home brew? mix of 50 / 50 automatic
transmission fluid and acetone.
Note the ?home brew? was better than any commercial product in this one
particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all
now use it with equally good results. Note also that ?Liquid Wrench? is
about as good as ?Kroil? for about 20% of the price.

Wayne
Wayne and Lisa (Skeezix), Bolton Landing, NY
AMO#8454,  http://www.superglider.thinkhost.com/
69 Ambo coupe, 401, M12, 66 Ambo 990 Wagon, 327,PW,PB,PS,posi,AM/FM,AC
2003 Harley FLHTCI, 1978 Gmc Royale motorhome
2001 Cherokee, 2002 Caddy Seville Northstar V8