Re: [AMC-list] Who'da thunk the vent window is the right size for a beag

Re: [AMC-list] Who'da thunk the vent window is the right size for a beagle's nose?

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:

> I decided to take the Rambler out for a long drive today.

OK, that's just great! Remember where you were last year with that thing?
Foolish persistence pays off :-) It's sooo nice when the machine is humming
down the road like that! Makes it easy to forget the annoyances. Keep
picking at the little nits (before they turn into actual bugs) and with luck
you'll get a lot more fun trips in it.

I think older cars are better for dogs, windows that go all th way down, a
belt line low(er) and sleek(er) than modern cars, and all that glass. Our
dogs LOVE the station wagon, everything is dog-sized.

I know what oyu mean about leisurely cruising, 2nd and 3rd gears. Engine's
loafing along, the dumbest low-tech carb is happy with mid-range velocities,
lots of cooling air.

Vent windows are like telescopes for dogs. There's a whole smell world we're
blind to. In my Hornet the dogs would stick their noses in the center dash
vent to get the outside air. No vent windows! One reason I sold the Hornet
(seriously).

The T-96 just likes to hear itself grind first gear. Not sure if this is
worth it on a column shift, but I can get into first easily at low speeds
while moving if, as the shifter passes through neutral on the way to first,
if I "bump" it up against second then pull to first. Not sure if I can
describe it better; push the shifter *slightly* towards 2nd until you feel
the slightest internal resistance in the lever, then to first. I don't know
why it works, since 2nd is on the countershaft. Works for me though, I can
reliably downshift into 1st at 10mph without grinding.