From: Justin Shelton <justinshelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] I bought the Renault convertible
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, May 13, 2010, 8:46 AM

OK, guys, so in spite of a few dire warnings to not do so, I bought that '87 Renault Alliance convertible that I mentioned a month or so ago.  I never really got back to the guy after I first looked at the car, but seeing as these vehicles have such a tiny following, I think that no one else ever even replied to his ad.  Last week he emailed me - probably his last and only resort in hoping to preserve marital harmony - and  told me to bring $250 and a dolly and it was mine.  I did so the following day.

This car came to MI from Florida (it still has FL plates on it), and no rust at all. It sat at this guys house under a car cover for three years as it quit running shorting after the car arrived in MI.  There is very slight fading of the paint on the trunk lid, and some spider web type cracking of the paint on the plastic bumpers, but otherwise it's very nice, and I think I can wax the car to make it a very presentable .  The interior is perfect except where some kid installed speakers.

I got the car home and put a battery in - it turned over and doesn't make any odd noises of valves being slapped around, nor is it spinning to fast as I turn it over, so I think that the engine has compression.  (I did not do an actual compression test yet.) I pulled the timing belt cover, and the belt is not broken and it appears to be properly installed. Next I tested for spark: there is none, but I did find that the spark plug wires were incorrectly installed (they were on in order for the 1.4 not the 1.7 engine).  I ordered a new Renix spark control module from AutoZone (I know, I hate them too, but they're open late and are only five miles away.)  The module should be in tomorrow, so I'll pick it up after work and see what happens next.  Who knows?  Maybe for $250 + a $120 module I'll have a driver???.  None of this of course addresses the supposed overheating condition, which is why the PO said he stopped driving the car, but I'll get there
 when I
get there.  Maybe the cooling system just needed to be bled.  One other note: there is absolutely no crud on this engine, so I'm curious if its not a rebuilt engine with fewer miles than the 112K shown on the odometer.

Who knew I'd ever be excited about a Renault????  Now I am curious about those incredibly rare Medallions!

Justin