Re: [AMC-list] IT RUNS.

" From: Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" The FWD V6s changed to 3.0 and 3.3 (that motor didn't last long at GM
" and AFAIK only Buick and Pontiac got them) before it was replaced. The
" rod bearings in the early 2.8 (same ones AMC got till '86) had rod
" bearings that were too narrow to deal with any wear, causing many to
" self ventilate and self destruct as well.
" I have an '88 Celebrity with the 2.8 (crate motor) that I am pulling
" apart to put the motor and EFI into my recently purchased '86 Comanche
" (so my room-mate will have 4x4 before next winter. Wifey gets the '82
" Spirit turned into an Eagle which should be done about the end of
" June)

a warning you probably already know - about '87 gm revised the 2.8,
fixing a bunch of problems like the rod bearings you mention.  they
also changed the 2.8 from external to internal balance, so you can't
just throw the comanche flywheel or flexplate on.  the flexplate can
easily be rebalanced by removing the weight; the flywheel is a bit
harder, but i think an '88-up s10 2.8 flywheel would do the trick.  i
know a camaro 2.8 flywheel is way too thick.

i also hope the celeb 2.8 has usable motor mounts for a rwd app.

" So much going on and somehow in the mix I have to spend more time with
" my Mom who found out day before Mother's Day she has inoperable lung
" cancer (too close to the heart) Chemo and radiation can't be done
" either.

major bummer.  my dad died of a brain tumor, 21 years ago this month.