Re: [AMC-list] engine oil pressure

That's great pressure for an older engine -- heck, it's good for a new one! I'm sure the 20-50 helps though. It's a waste to change synthetic at 2000-3000 miles. Leave that stuff in at least 5K, and I'd go 6-7K. Change the filter and top off at 3-3.5K. Unless you have a carb problem or lots of blow-by the oil shouldn't be getting very dirty a 3-3.5K. Synthetic doesn't wear down nearly as quick as dino oil. You should change it once a year regardless of mileage if it's a show or seldom driven car though. If you're going to stick with 2-3K changes save the money and use dino oil.
--------------------
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 13:31:19 -0500
From: "Armand Eshleman" <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

My weekend project was installing an oil pressure gauge and water
temperature gauge in the white Javelin.
I've owned this car since 1972, and never had an oil pressure gauge on it
before yesterday. I was very
happy to see the pressure jump to 60 psi cold when I started the engine
after the gauge install. I took it for
about a 30 minute drive, which got the engine normalized at a stable
operating temperature. At 1800 to 2000 RPM,
the gauge reads 55 psi hot. At 600 RPM idle with the engine temperature at
180 degress the oil pressure holds
steady at 21 psi. It's got 20W50 Redline synthetic oil in it with about 2000
miles on the oil and filter, which is where
I religiously would change oil and filter. This is the first time I've put
synthetics in it. I may let it go to 3000 miles.
Remember the engine has never been out of the car, and the only thing that
has been done to the
engine is a valve job at about 90,000 miles because of a nick in a seat. The
car now has about 130,000 miles on the clock.

What say you guys, besides AMC engines ROCK.

Armand

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts