------------
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 16:53:42 -0700
From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

I always polish the oil returns on ANY head. Doesn't matter what it is.
Once the oil splashes over the vale,rocker. Its next job is to get back to
the pan ASAP
  Some engines. have deficiencies here and even benefit from external
lines. I'd be surprised it the 196 needed much help. What rpm is that going
to twist to?

I didn't polish any of the return paths, it's just so voluminous I didn't
even think of it. Before rebuild I rarely ran it to 3500, factory redline is
4500. With the work I did it should be happy at 3000, so I'll likely spend
more time 3000, 3500. But in stock trim, and with this RV cam, torque falls
off around there so there's no point.

60 psi idle, 80 psi at 2500 - 3000, I think I'm fine.

When I adjusted the valves at 1000 rpm, the oil flow there was good but not
excessive, no squirting etc, just a nice small bead flow out of all the
right holes etc.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts