Re: [AMC-list] it runs...

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 7:50 PM, <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> hey tom, ontop of all that, dont forget, you got cast iron and aluminum.
> the

Hmm yeah, I once wanted to play with one of those but I think I'll pass!
:-)

I think this motor can be viewed as insight into Nash's workings. There's no
problem with parts quality, but there seems to be a lot of fiddling about
engineering-wise. The head variations are really odd too, the big plugs into
the water jacket between the exhaust ports, what looks to be an identical
isolated-thermostat fix (tapped boss under the 'stat), who knows what all
the head casting numbers mean. I've never seen two heads exactly the same,
yet none of them fix the inherent cooling problem!

The other parts (cam, pans, etc) were model variations and that sort of
thing, totally typical. The problem is that this engine is so unpopular,
hardly any of it is in 'the lore' as it is for the new six and all the v8's.

I have enough information now to write a freakin' book on this motor, but
only you and me would buy it :-)