[AMC-list] amc amx carpets & floor mats

"From: feltonjk@xxxxxxx
Who sells the best AMX carpet? I need carpet for a 70 AMX with hurst 4-speed. No vendor responses please."

No vendor responses, what the hell. I emailed him off list anyhows, as I don't stock carpet, but figured would comment anyhows. The best ones I have used are from aCC on my VENDORS list.

Something to consider is what I mentioned to him is that carpets are not quick movers and sometimes carpets are sitting in warehouses, exposed to heat, humidity, cold, whatever and can shrink. They can also get dusty, that is the fibers start coming off at rapid pace like mange. I bought a carpet set for the 100th aMC I owned (that ws 261 AMCs ago, a 74 AMX & 73 Javelin just in, that is #362 & #363) years ago from major un-named FL based vendor :~O and it was short. No stranger to laying carpet, I had to pull whole mess up from this 69 AMX, battle glue, rebox it, send it back and wait for refund which came 6 months later in chargeback on credit card.

It's like a NOS stripe kit or weatherstrip. You are excited to find it and buy it, however, the problem is it has been rolled up since Kennedy or Nixon administration. So your prize NOS stripe kit will last you less than 5 years on your $5K/or more paint job when exposed to UV rays after a few summer's meets in blistering sun. Same with weatherstrip, it has been rolled up, now stretched like my ex wife and will break or crack due to stress; that is the rubbery type, not hard type like vertical 1/4 or outer door squeegies.

Bottom line is to try to have the carpet made "fresh". Loop cut or cut pile, it's all good if fresh and not been sitting rolled up somewhere since your car was new. That's why I recommended ACC, sort of like having your burger made fresh when order instead of sitting under heat lamp for week.

The floor mats, those were a Group 15 Accessory and the most desirable ones are the ones with the little futuristic AMX 2 on them AMC used from 1968 thru 1974. These came in variety of molded colors. They available in rubber or vinyl. The Group 15 Accessories catalog is filled with abut 2-3 pages of part numbers for the different series. Hard to find. Need photos of what they look like email me.

My 68 Rebel convertible 'Machine' and 72 Ambassador SST and 69 BBO Javelin all sport them, and all are clear, although faded with time. What AMC did on the back of these floor mats was there was about 3 inch 'extra' pressed onto them, and words 'cut for hor/grem' so a dealer would simply cut them smaller for Gremlin & Hornet series, brilliant!

As for aftermarket, the Therber's Jock mentioned earlier have some excellent ones for sale, they also on the old vendors list:

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/AMC_Vendors/amc_vendors.htm

PS: something else mentioned to felton there was that if you can believe it, not one 'major' AMC vendor stocks carpet for a Hornet with factory four speed. Kennedy asked me to send him my old carpet to make template but my old carpet probably would have not made the trip boxed. Everyone one has automatic floor or automatic column shift.....none have 4 speeds so folks like me with 71 SC/360 with Hurst 4spd sheetouttaluck. And have to adapt, which I did when installing carpet in it a few weeks ago. Make sure you open windows when using that 3M glue stuff or really good buzz.

Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com