[AMC-list] :re don't you know/volcano caps and rims

James asked:

"Don't You Know" <allmostret@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 14:49:14
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] AMC-list Digest, Vol 13, Issue 52

Nice car!  Factory 14" or even 15" rims don't do the car justice though,
16" rims would look nice but I wouldn't go bigger than 18".  Speaking of
which, are there any manufactures out there that make factory looking rims
that are larger but still allow factory center caps to bolt on?  I'd like to
bolt a set of factory looking 16" rims that'll accept the vocano style caps,
on to my 73 Javelin.

James, you will probably have to drill the rims for the volcano caps. The original rims, 8 slot 14 and 15 were made by Kelsey Hayes for AMC, other rally rims made by Detroit Wheel. You will find some really similiar 15 inch rims in junkyards for Mopar, they have I believe 16 slots, but same AMC bolt pattern.

As for 16 inch rims, that is something you might have to experiment with. It's been done and have seen some AMCers use 17 and 18 inch rims now out. Not sure if they alter their suspension or not when using those or use flatter run tires.

Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com