[AMC-list] RETURN TO - 76 Hornet sportabout emissions cannister hose hoo

[AMC-list] RETURN TO - 76 Hornet sportabout emissions cannister hose hookup - FIGUURED OUT

 Well, I decided that the GT should be close enough to trace out the hose routing, so I raised the hood on my '78 Gremlin GT, and looked at the cannister - 4-hose setup, Hmm. It had a little round valve off to one side, which went to a hose cluster near the valve cover, but otherwise looked the same, so I checked out the hose routing.

 - Carb bowl evap hose - check!

- Purge to PCV  valve cover T connection - check!

- Tank connection goes to the small steel line ( using proprietary rubber hose with DIFFERENT SIZED ends! ) - SO a B !

So, I got the Tank connection right using a large-to-small plastic vacuum hose reducer. It was the only logical place to hook it to. The large steel line (on the GT) has a going-nowhere hose at the moment, as I had also never gotten around to finding the special correct dual-outlet fuel filter for the GT, so I'd just replaced it with a rubber hose to the carb with no filter. I'll have to try to locate one of those special fuel filters for the GT.

 So, AMC used a special rubber hose  with a big molded end to fit the larger evap cannister nipple, and a regular hose end on the other for the 1/8 inch steel return vapor line to the tank. WHY do car manufacturers DO that? You can never buy those anywhere except a dealer usually, when new(er). Oh well, I'll just have a big white reducer piece inline to make the correct connection. And the hose on the GT is rotted as well, so I will have to get another to fix that as well.

Just thought I'd update my findings on this hose routing on the Hornet wagon. Glad I guessed correctly, but it's a B to rout that hard straight plastic piece in a tight space to the connection. Now to get on that GT this summer, too...

Jerry Casper