Re: [AMC-list] 195.6 starters, 1963 vs. 1965? OHV vs. flathead?

The only difference in L-head vs. OHV is that the early L-heads used an Autolite electrical systems (stater, dizzy, gen, regulator) instead of Delco. As long as you replace with the same type it should fit. The Delco on my 65 alfthead looks to be the same as the Delco from my 63 OHV, but there may be a minor change. I doubt it. Have the local parts store get a rebuilt one then take yours in for a core and compare. Just count the the teeth on the drive gear and make sure the noses are the same depth. You might want to try someone like Rock auto just to see if they list the same part number for 63-65.
----------
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 21:03:09 -0700
From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

"No one" lists 1963 starters, but "everyone" lists 1965 starters. It's hard
to believe there's any difference between them. It's the same part manual to
auto, right? I don't even care about cosmetic or minor differences (stud
sizes, etc). Anyone know about this difference? Lhead vs OHV?

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts