From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] *almost* not quite...
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans." <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, April 19, 2010, 8:55 PM

OK, I changed so many things at once (usually a bad idea, but since the
engine was out, it was the right time for a lot of things...) so it took
forever, but it's *almost* sorted out... the starter died. It was woggy for
a few weeks before I pulled the engine, and it just fell over dead cranking
the new motor. It made non-starter noises and got smelly hot. The start was
came-with-the-car, meaning unknowably old and untouched. The nose bushing
wsa bad, I should have got it rebuilt/got a new one.

I got oil pressure and the fuel cranked up, spark at #2 plug but weak from
the starter dragging down the battery. Even two batteries (jumped) it
finally cogged it's last breath.

The motor is slightly "tight" but not bad; it turns easily enough and very
smoothly with a ratchet on the pulley bolt.

So now I gotta find a starter without a worn-out nose casting (good luck).