From: Jerry Casper <gremlingts@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] Need help with 76 Hornet sportabout vac hookups to evap cannister
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx, "BadAssGremlins" <baadassgremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "AMC" <amc-delmarva@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, April 11, 2010, 10:15 AM

I finally got a used evap cannister unit to replace the original that had all 3 nipples broken off ( only had one off when I got the car, but they were so brittle, the other two broke off soon after I started replacing hoses ).  Anyway, I'm a bit confused with the hookups. Here's what I have, and maybe someone with a Hornet wagon or sedan or hatchback can tell me if it's correct or not.

Carb bowl - large hose, hooks to top of carb. Easy choice. can't screw this one up!

Purge - Mine is connected to the PCV hose off the valve cover, and T'eed into a heat-control valve on the  manifold. Correct or not?

Tank - this one has me stumped. I have a return line from the dual-exit fuel filter going to a steel line of 3/32 inch,and there's a smaller 1/8 inch steel line next to it, both going down the frame by the steering column. The Tank nipple on the cannister is about 1/4 inch diameter, so I put an adapter fitting in between it and the 1/8th line. But is this where it goes? I can't see the fuel filter overflow line going to the very small line, which had dirt in the end and was totally open before, so it wasn't used for the gas previously, I don't think, and it'd require an adapter, too.

Not sure if a regular Hornet sedan had the same hook-ups, maybe any Hornet of 76 vintage should be the same. I was reading on a Jeep website how the Carter carbs are particularly fussy about having the vac and gas setups correct, or it'd flood and run bad ( mine did both ). So I've got the gas bypass reconnected to relieve pressure on the float, now to just figure out the vacuum hookups to the tank and evap cannister.  Any help appreciated!

Jerry Casper
Still trying to get this Hornet ready for the road....