Re: [AMC-list] quick ratio turns question

"Quick ratio" is 3.5 or less turns lock-to-lock. Standard steering is around 5+ turns. Those are just "rules of thumb", but I looked up several. 2.5 lock to lock is super quick! Might have been an option, don't know for sure. Maybe it had been changed but had been so long it looked like it was always on there? No way to know for sure. There's a choice! That's a Saginaw steering box. Cut the shaft, weld/clamp an end on the (properly shortened) shaft for a rag joint, replace the box!
------------
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 00:15:36 -0700
From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

My '70 Hornet, a 'stripper', had a fast steering box in it -- 2.5 turns lock
to lock. Really. It was NICE! 108" wheelbase, to the AMX's what, 98? Well
under 3 turns, and yes, it had the right steering stops in it. No signs it
had ever been removed/replaced. I'm convinced it was factory. Requested
option or top of the pile? We'll never know.

Makes for a strenuous workout in a rally I can
tell you. I had blisters on the second day. I wish it were a faster ratio,
but on that car, there is simply no choice. If there was, I'd buy gloves.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts