[AMC-list] my 195.6 ohv engine build status

[AMC-list] my 195.6 ohv engine build status

In a word: slow!

I'm really tight for cash, right from the start. I did research really good
engine building shops, and would love to use them, but I simply can't afford
it. So my local "neighborhood" machine shop is doing the work. It's working
out fine though.

They're good and careful, but they mostly do passenger car rebuilds which
means only a small percentage are enthusiast builds, like me. But the head
machinist is pretty good, is not pig-headed, isn't a "Ferd or Chebby" type
(you know those people who only know one brand and 'everything else is crap'
to cover their ignorance). He finds my projects 'amusing' and a fun
challenge because I think I try not to be a PITA or hurry him. he's not been
taking "shortcuts" to get it out fast.

This motor has been a challenge. The crank went back twice -- no one has
books that old, my spare TSM was their main guide. Two sets of bearings came
in wrong. The fact that AMC made THREE FREAKIN' MOTORS with the same
displacement doesn't help. Multiple different cranks, multiple blocks, two
sets of different rods with the same numbers, Nash junk going back to the
40's, multiple different cams, cam bearings, oiling details, whatever. And
that's just for the iron OHV!

The machinist, Nelson, is doing good work and has a lot of this motor
figured out now. The crank came out great, all the clearances are .002 on
the spot, got good Best brand teflon-graphite rear seal in it, the new cam,
etc. Best also makes an oilpan kit that's some weird thick modern composite
material ten times better than the crappy thin cork stuff. I might even use
if if I need it to maintain the pan clearance for the front rubber timing
cover seal (else just Right Stuff). The only gaskets I'm using are
headgasket, oil pump, maybe the oilpan. I did NOT buy one of those crappy
overhaul gasket kits (and it wasn't to save money, though it did). And I'm
going to baffle the oil filler tube to cut down on the mist, and re-plumb
PCV.

I'm taking notes. I'll publish it all on wps.com. It's gonna be a sweet
motor. I have a friend down here with a 63 hardtop American with a tired
motor. I think Nelson will have an easier time with that one!