[AMC-list] Electrical Problem

Here is my problem.  I have a 70AMX 390 4speed that I am close to finishing the restoration on.  I purchased a used wiring harness from a 70AMX that the seller told me was tested.  The harness does appear to be in good shape with all connectors being good and in general looked better than the one that was in the car.  About a year ago I rebuilt the steering column and replaced the ingnition switch.  The starter solenoid was NOS when put on the car and had about 25 starts on it with the old wiring harness.  After putting on the new harness the car will not start when the key is cranked to the start position.  The battery is new and good.  An electircal testor shows no power at the solenoid on the S side.  I can jump the car and it will start, but not when I turn the ignition.  The gauges are getting power when the key is turned to the first position and the headlights work.  As I see it either the solenoid is bad, the ignition switch is bad, or there is something I have not th
 ought of.  Someone suggested that the wiring harness may have come off a vehicle with an automatic transmission and wired for a neutral safety switch.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim