Re: [AMC-list] AMC factory engine balance

Re: [AMC-list] AMC factory engine balance

" From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" Does anyone know how AMC actually balanced the engines, and of course for my
" interests, the 196.6 ohv? I assume they balanced components separately --
" flywheel (manual trans), crank, mainly -- to some spec and just assembled
" the motors from there.
"
" The crank, flywheel and front damper are all drilled, so some balancing work
" was done. It seems most unlikely than any production motor had it's whole
" reciprocating/rotating assembly balanced.

i recall someone posting that they did in fact balance v8s all
together.

i don't know if inline sixes, which are naturally balanced, got
anything.

" Does anyone have any idea to what spec this was done? The flywheels and
" dampers I assume are neutral, just make them spin evenly. But the cranks had
" to be balanced to accept the "average" weight of the corresponding rod, pin
" and piston, right?

not for an inline six.  the '07 rr 'grey ghost' - first to have the
modern firing order - had no cw at all.  otoh a modern bmw 6 has 12
cw, i assume b/c while an i6 is naturally balanced -as-a-unit-
[cylinder assemblies counterbalance each other], the cylinders aren't
necessarily balanced -individually-, leading to extra bearing loads
etc.  btw this sort of internal unbalance is what wiped out the penske
chevy stock block indy team, back in the '80s[?] - crank flex took out
the center mains in less than 50 miles on all 3 cars, while they were
running away with the race after sweeping the front row.  it was an
amazing mistake for roger.

an i6 is naturally better balanced and smoother than a v8.