Re: [AMC-list] AND ANOTHER THING 195.6

You could put a T in the heater return line and have the t-stat line go back to that though. I've seen a car or two plumbed like that, can't recall if it was an AMC or not, but there was one line to the heater then a T in the other heater line. Don't recall where the heater valve was exactly. I think it was in the line between the heater and the T. Easy to do on the 196, even retaining the origianl valve -- T in the stand pipe the valve is on. I think I mentioned that in my earlier post...

----------
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 20:57:31 -0800
From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 14:00, Matt Haas <mhaas@xxxxxxx> wrote:
In the FWIW category, the later sixes use a 5/8" hose for the bypass. It is
plumbed into return side of the heater core lines in these engines. I don't
know how hard it would be to do that on a 196 but it seems like it would be
pretty simple to install a nipple near the t-stat and plug off the existing
return fitting in the engine. If it's workable, it could even end up looking
somewhat stockish.

Do you mean the 82-up water-cooled manifolds?

My '70 232, the heater bypasses the head by default. With the 82 manifold, I
have the heater in parallel with the heater with "Y"s. The 63 chassis has a
water shutoff valve; later engines leave the heater water on all the time
and just move the hot air around. So I can't plumb my heater like a
late-model.

Same on the 195.6; with the heater OFF, no hot water flows. Worse, the
heater return runs into a dedicated INLET in the water pump; the water pump
pumps from TWO sources, the bottom of the radiator and the heater.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts