Re: [AMC-list] exhaust ports...

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 08:41, Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Just the opposite -- sounds well within reason. I don't think I'd worry
> about the furnace cement though. Since the insert will stay in place by
> shape, don't worry about a little exhaust gas or heat rising into that well.
> You main concern is flow, right? At anything above idle exhaust gas velocity
> will be increased to a point that a small "crack" along the leading edges of
> the insert won't matter.

Actually I was more concerned with heat, eating the relatively thin (3/16")
steel roof filler plate. I figured with hot gases on only one side the metal
wouldn't cook. Cast iron has poor heat transfer and is much larger mass and
has a water jacket under it. My steel roof will be thn and right in the
exhaust.

I also figured if it warped from heat then it could lift up and get
hotter/warped-er... because I'd like this to be a one-shot deal and not do
some long term development I prefer gross overkill. But I might just weld
the three pieces in-place and be done.

Tabs welded to the plug and a ver small milled notch on the head would let
the manifold retain it and only reduce the gasket area 1/8" on two small
spots.